Friday, May 11, 2012

be the cause..


It was precisely the issue of alleviating suffering and finding cures for diseases and illnesses, which motivated me to pursue a career in an field of regenerative medicine.. 

When I was young I heard stories of my great grandmother who was a Diabetic in those old days in the nineteen sixties, she used to inject herself with the big basic needle then and how difficult she found the experience. Then when my Father was declared a diabetic, I took Science as my mainstream subject with dreams of doing something in the medical line. Times have changed now, basic needles for insulin prick have become soft and thin and painless ones but how nice it would be if the various newer techniques could have prove to be a boon to people like my Father.

You know how it is when we are kids, we see people or our dear ones suffering and we think we will grow up to be super beings and say "i will become a doctor and cure you or find a cure to all this, bla bla" 
I was 1 such kid too., i saw a lot of near and dear one's succumb to variour diseases.. I did not become a doctor though like i said when i was a kid.. What i do and did is something beyond all that or let us just say something different..

Thus i completed my masters in Regenerative medicine and I worked at a hospital, which facilitates cutting edge research in Stem cells and tissue engineering and delivers it in a clinical setting; a strategy referred to as "Bench to Bedside approach". (Ofcourse we all have heard a lot and know about stem cells., how it is a boon to medicine and even the ethical issue surrounding it, and all the hype about storing your babies stem cells so that it can be used for the babes ill health in future if ever needed and etc etc)

So at the hospital where i worked we focused on strategies to repair, replace and ultimately regenerate various tissues and organs to solve major clinical problems. There was also clinical trials done on Parkinsons patients trying to cure them.
The extensive exposure in this field of Stem cells and their therapeutic use stimulated me to do further research and find ways and means to develop and improve treatments involving health care

So this is what i do, i do not cure people but try to find innovative solutions and methods for alleviating pain and suffering. I aim to look for cures for chronic diseases and illnesses such as diabetes, cancer and Parkinson’s and many more., thus contribute towards benefitting the mankind, our near and dear one's. I am just a small one among all the many people behind this kind of research. 

There is a poem called “Somebody’s Mother”, where a small boy helps a old woman cross the road and says to his friends ‘I hope somebody will give a helping hand to my mother when she is also old and tired’. Like that i hope to do my little bit by helping cure many suffering from various diseases hoping one day somebody will find cure for the diseases my dear one's suffer from.

Researcher's are the back bone of medicine i would like to believe.. 
 
Today there is hope for winds of change. We may not be able to direct the winds but we can adjust the sail. I believe we can at least make a change however small it may appear to others, and we can be the cause in the matter.


No comments:

Post a Comment