Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Instant karma

There is a dialogue in hindi "Mera bad luck hi kharab hai"., meaning my bad luck by itself is defective/bad.. All of us have our lucks good and bad and they both strike unexpectedly, though we always just crib that bad luck striks unexpectedly..

Anyways, as i am new to Berlin, my friend here was guding me through most of the stuffs that we come across everyday.. One such thing being our travel from where we stay to my Institute.. There are different means of public trasport, there is the S-Bhan (over head trains), U-Bhan (underground trains), Tram and buses., U-bhan being the fastest of them all.. So we travel by the U-bhan everday, my friend showed me how to get the tickets, they have the daily, weekly, monthly and yearly tickets, and these tickets were valid for all the means of public trasport.. I took the monthly ticket, it was already half way past the month, but she said it was valid for a month, till the same time next month., trusting that she knows better i believed her.
Days went by, the next month came and as the last week for my ticket to expire was nearing., i decided i would wait for that week to be over and then buy my new ticket. But then 1 day, as i get off the train, a checking inspector asks for my ticket, and the moment he sees my ticket, he takes me aside saying my ticket is expired and i will be chraged with a fine for it., and i kept arguing with him saying it was valid for a week more and that is what my friend told me. Luckly he was a sweet guy he took me to the ticket machine and showed me the right ticket, it was a different kind of monthly ticket - from anydate of one month to the same date of the next month.. He agreed it was a mistake as i was new to berlin.. But yet i got fined for having the wrong ticket.. 

I cursed my bad luck, cause 1) i get checked after i get off the train and 2) the rules here are soo strong, that you never get pardoned for a mistake, you pay for your foolishness too and 3) the worst part is i have seen people my own friends who at times forget to carry their tickets but have neva been checked.. A lot of it just has to do with luck..

Well also i guess i learnt my lesson, now i dont go by just what 1 tells me, i find more information on it and then i know for sure.. 

Was very disappointed about the fine though.. All i could think of was that, i could ve shopped or done something useful with that money.. :p But like the old saying goes "there is no use crying over spilt milk"

2 comments:

  1. aw man!! that sucks! I guess we are soooo used to 'bribing' that we completely forget about the so called rules and regulations! .. :| Damn its not just the govt. its spread to us too!! *siiighh* so much for all the lecture on 'how corrupt the govt. is'.. :P
    Atleast somewhere they respect the rules! :P hehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i agree, if it were India, the police would have taken some money from us and let us go.. hehehheee..
      now i am always super careful and make sure i have the right ticket.. less learnt.. :P

      Delete